Habitat Improv Quilt

habitat improv quilt

My February goal was to finish this WIP that has been in my stash for four years.  With the IMQG sewing retreat I knew this would be a great time to finish up this sucker.

As I laid the pieces out I knew I wanted to do something more improv than structured.  This quilt is really out of my general comfort zone for a couple of reasons.  The fabrics aren’t what I would usually be drawn to, hence the massive dragging my feet on it.  Improv piecing is something I haven’t done in a while and the quilting is straight lines but planned in quadrants.

I have to say just playing and letting a design come to me was really refreshing.

habitat improv quilt

Hardest part of the project was getting all of the pieces in one row to be roughly the same size.  I used almost all of the white scrap I had in my stash, it’s not a Kona White, but still blends in well.

For the backing I had found the orange and blue floral print at Jo-Anns in 2011 and knew this would be perfect with these fabrics.  I pieced together some larger scraps from the fabric to make it big enough.

habitat improv quilt Having my sewing friends around while working on this quilt was great.  As I started marking for the quilting, they had some great input.  The quilting is in light gray and each section of quilting is going a different direction.  LOVE IT!!!

habitat improv quilt Binding is scraps from the project and machine bound.  Whatever scraps were leftover were given away at the the retreat.  Felt good to finish a project I have been holding onto and get rid of the evidence.

The quilt is currently for sale on Etsy.  Pop over and take a look.

Linking up with A Lovely Year of Finishes.  Mark my February goal as complete.

2015 lovely year of finishes