Usually I discuss items I find that I like with the vintage modern feel in this series. Over the next few weeks I will be living this theme. As we take our 1927 bungalow and update it to have a more modern kitchen.
Original 1927 hardwoods under LAYERS of terrible flooring options.
When we bought the house a few years ago, I thought it just needed some new countertops and we would be good. Once we started using the space it was apparent we needed more counters and prep space. Let’s not forget the frozen pipes in the winter due to poor planning on the previous owner’s behalf. We have pondered and really tried to figure out what will be the best for us.
A few weeks ago we agreed on a color palette that will flow with the rest of our home.
Loving the gold streaks. I think they will look great as pops of color with our current hardwoods.
Down goes the wall. I may have gotten sledge hammer happy. Look at all that original lath we found. Those were each done by hand. I hated to tear it down but it had to go. We need something more open and makes the space look bigger. Plus we want a bar area we can eat at.
After lots of cleaning this is the opening now into the kitchen. We would love to keep the original hardwoods exposed but they have been damaged over the years and not well maintained. Plus the water damage from the dishwasher leaking for years has left some dark spots permanently.
Once this kitchen is done, look for new features on the blog with more recipes and ideas. Prior to this I wouldn’t do any photos in my kitchen with the terrible light and layout.
There is a lot happening in the sewing room but not much to really share recently. New fabrics, new ideas, and some new projects. However, my arch nemesis of a grown up job is sucking all of my time. We have been on 7 months of mandatory overtime which has just become draining.
When I do have time to sew, it’s limited and uninspired. For April I need to get a couple of big projects out of the way so I can move on to something more original. I’m glad to have the commissions of two t-shirt quilts, but really need some creativity right now.
My goal for the month is get one of the tops completed. That will be a huge relief and make way for some more projects in the sewing room.
Linking up with A Lovely Year of Finishes.
This Rainbow Charm Project has been one of my favorite quilts.
Felt good to really use up scraps and be creative. It’s been done for days but I have been pondering what to do. I considered submitting it over to a couple of magazines or writing the pattern. Look for the pattern soon. I’m working on a couple of different versions.
Indigo and violet were nixed because the scraps I had were too dark. Plus, I was having the borrow scraps to finish. Kind of defeats the purpose right?
I quilted in a light yellow on the front in the white and aqua on the back. It’s amazing how a design starts out one way then ends up something completely different.
The aqua back is a thrifted sheet. The binding is a print a randomly picked up that really coordinated well with the original design. Good thing there are some scraps left to make that happen.
Linking up to a ton of other great projects for the month with three hours to spare.
This month is going to be a busy month for me. First Pdawg is turning 1 next week. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? Then there is the grown up job and the never ending hours right now. With that my sewing time could be pretty limited.
My biggest focus is get the Rainbow Charm quilt all pieced. I only have about 150 white squares left to work with. BIV is going to take lots of cutting.
I tried to sew the other night. Laid out the quilt to possibly do some sewing. Blahahaha says Porter. At least he had fun. He’s had some bug this week and demanding snuggles.
It’s never easy to say good-bye to a pet. My parents recently had to put their Boston Terrier, Sweetie, down after 8 years. We are pretty sure she developed something neurological but my parents didn’t want to put her through a lot of testing.
They were so strong about it and still have rough days. To help honor Sweetie I wanted to make something for my parents. We had our Indy Modern Quilt Guild meeting at Crimson Tate in January and I remembered she had the perfect fabric. Boston Terrier Voile. I opted for the black and white version. I cut a 4.5 inch strip as the center. I called my mom and asked Black and ….? She said gray of some sort. This medium gray was perfect. I cut a 1 inch strip. My friend Lisa had added a small “border” around a block and I loved it. This was my inspiration for the pillow.
I folded the 1 inch strip in half and sewed to the top and bottom of the voile strip.
I added white to the top and bottom and left the little gray border out. Maybe it’s more like piping, I’m not 100% sure. I planned to use scrap batting to stuff the quilt so I put a small white liner in to hide any off colored batting.
The pillow is backed with some left over Kona Charcoal from the Reverse Mosaic Tiles quilt back. Amazingly, another pillow did not put a dent in my scrap batting bag. Luckily, I have some more projects in mind to utilize the leftovers.
My parents were the best and opted to watch our two dogs and the baby for four days while we traveled to a wedding. I gave my mom the pillow when we dropped everyone off and she loved it.
The pillow now sits in Sweetie’s favorite chair near their picture window. She loved to sit there and look out it. It can’t bring her back, but hopefully it provides some comfort.