I have missed making strip quilts and I needed to put together a baby boy quilt. I bought this owl fabric a while back not sure what do with it. Inspiration was born. Use the colors in the owl fabric to make a coordinating front in strips. Done.
Using just a bit of yellow really gave it a nice pop. The binding is gray along with the quilting.
The owls are from Robert Kaufman’s Zoologie line. The eyes are super cute on the owls, some are sleepy and some are surprised.
Here’s a peak of what’s going on around our house. We are working on basement renovation this summer. This is my basement floor currently. Had to have it done to add in a half bath. So the house is a disaster.
Ah, Kona Solids, what would my fabric stash be without you? Prints are great, but I am loving solids. You can really create something that is bold and very simple, yet has a great effect.
I enjoyed making the bar graph quilts previously and had some of the green, blue, yellow, and orange left over. I knew I wanted to make another baby boy quilt, but wasn’t sure what I was going do. There was some fabric in my stash that I could have used, but it wasn’t the correct one.
On a Friday afternoon I went to Crimson Tate as I was out running errands. Not that I needed more fabric, I just needed inspiration that day. While looking over her wonderful fabric selection I found this. Not what I would normally gravitate towards, but it would work with a the solids I had stashed away at home.
The design came to me while standing in the store. Add gray with my solids and this may work for the back. I rushed off to the house to get to work. I had plenty of projects already started, but one more wouldn’t hurt.
I finished this week after a fight with myself about the binding. I REALLY wanted to do brown originally. Had it cut and ready to add and paniced. It did not look right. Back to my stash of solids and I found a wonderful green. Much better.
The record breaking crowd at the Indianapolis Modern Quilt Guild meeting got to see a sneak peek off the design wall with the quilting.
Here is the completed quilt, ready for a new home.
Love the way it turned out what can be created when you just play.
A few months ago the IMQG had everyone bring in fat quarters in yellow, orange, and/or teal. The strips from tearing have been sitting in my projects basket since I left that meeting. Last Friday I decided I needed a project to just do in a day and just be creative.
I started with the yellow floral print featured above. Kona white and a pattern of orange, blue, and yellow in varying strip sizes. It was great to just play and design.
For the quilting I knew I wanted (semi) straight tight lines. Talk about an arm and shoulder workout last weekend.
Here is the finished product. I’m very happy with the results and my hard work over just one weekend.
The Bali inspired quilt is complete. Started with a great discussion while we were in NYC. I love when friends have great ideas and I can help them come together.
Originally I was hesitant to work with batiks. They seem a bit more traditional for me but I knew I could do something to bring them more into my style. Gray, of course! You will be seeing lots of gray in the coming months.
I wanted simple but showcasing each fabric in the quilt. Frame each block in a solid and then find a coordinating print to bring it all together. Luckily, my LQS has a good variety of batiks and made the shopping part easy.
Here is a sample of my vision for this quilt.
Just needed to make 15 more blocks to complete the quilt top.
Time to pick a backing fabric. Here were the two possibilities.
Here is the actual back, change of design plans.
For the quilting I decided yellow would be a great color on the front. My sewing buddies were pleasantly surprised with the addition. Very happy with how it turned out.
Busy as usual in the sewing room this week. I was asked to make a donation quilt for the Indiana Diabetes Association’s Gala. The color to support diabetes is red. Went through my stash and found all the black, red, and white fabrics. Last Sunday during football the fabric was cut and ready to be sewn. Here is the design wall sneak peek.
The quilt was finished at 2am and photographed at 7am. Not the best pictures but at least I remembered. I have been known to forget when I’m on deadline.
Off it went with the hubby to work on Friday to be auctioned off on Saturday. Friday’s project was finishing a gender neutral quilt for some ladies I met while doing a show. They wanted something modern and selected some of the vintage fabrics I had in my stash.
Here’s the back. It’s a vintage sheet and I LOVE it.
Adding the tight quilting lines I think really helped. I tried to keep it as neutral as possible. Hard to not go girly or boyish. The quilt was picked up on Saturday and they LOVED it too.
Busy week but always worth it to see people very happy and thinking of a happy baby that will get to snuggle on the quilt.
Challenge: going outside of set comfort zone. Typically, my quilts are squares or circles. Friend asked me to make a custom quilt with his fraternity letters and colors. I saw heat bond in my future and applique.
The colors are purple, green and yellow. Had to be cautious to limit the purple and not making the quilt girly. Upon applying the letters on the black background the colors really popped. Decided to quilt with black thread on the top. Luckily, it did tone down the color of the letters.
Love the tight quilting on there. Gives structure and sore shoulders, ha.
Customer was happy and I realized I had missed applique. Good thing I have some stuff cut out and ready to go for another project.