I have jumped into something new and I am VERY excited.
My wondeful friends have encouraged me to do this after what I have done with my dress. I am going to start repurposing wedding dresses into something useful for brides. Whether that is pillows, a quilt, sachet bags, purses, whatever they want. I can’t wait to get started and get my first customer.
I mean why not? Most brides I know have their dresses stored away in a closet or at their parent’s house. What a great way to re-use the dress for something you can put to use more often.
What started as a group effort betwen my girlfriends and I has turned into something I love to do for my friends. When KT got married we worked a quilt that included quotes about love, marriage and friendship. When C-ann got married the following year we did another one that was very similar.
Then I moved to Florida.
Last year we attended Ben & Abby’s lovely wedding in Pataski, Michigan in August. It was a great weekend. They had a great colors and I had picked out material for their quilt back in January prior to our move. I worked on the pieces all summer, but did not get the quilt finished. Then other stuff happened and it just took forever. Finally this summer I was determined to finish the quilt in order to be there for a their one year anniversary.
For this quilt I used a Disappearing Nine Patch pattern. It is very easy to do and gives the quilt a nice random look. With so many colors and different patterns, this is a great pattern to highlight each fabric. These are the wedding colors of Ben & Abby as well.
One of the reasons Ben & Abby’s quilt was so late is because myself and two other girlfriends were all engaged within a two month period. My girlfriends however were getting married a week apart in August. I had six months to make their two quilts and finalize B & A’s as well.
Below is a picture of LeeAnne’s wedding quilt. Her wedding colors were hot pink and black. I can’t imagine a better combination for her. I tried something new with her quilt…applique. For my first try, it did not turn out too bad.
Lastly, I had Krista’s quilt to work on. Krista chose great colors: lemon, lime and orange. I had to code all my projects early on so the girls wouldn’t know what I was really working on. Hence, I called this the citrus quilt. Below are pictures of the pieces of the quilt. I have yet to finish the actual quilting. I’m calling this one cascading colors.