Mod-Mosaic Baby Girl Quilt

My scrap bin had really been filling up and I had a request for a baby girl quilt.  The colors were orange, pink, light purple, brown, and a bit of yellow.  The idea struck me to use Oh Fransson’s Mod Mosaic pattern for the quilt to use up my scraps.

Improv piecing is one of my favorite things about modern quilting. I really tried to keep the piecing random and building as I went with every block.

For quilting I went with random lines criss crossing along the way.

I have already received a photo of the cute baby all snuggled up on the quilt enjoying some snoozing.

Started as a baby quilt…

This quilt was supposed to be finished last spring.  Of course I put it off for a number of reasons.  Last weekend I was determined to get it finished.  My goal for the rest of year, finish up projects.  Obviously so I can start more.

No pattern was used and I really liked it.  I had hit a creative roadblock with the project originally, but I put it on the wall and it came to me.

These are batiks from a manufacturer’s sample I had collected a few years back.  Solid is Kona Black.  Too bad it collects any hair, thread, and/or fuzzies within 10 feet of the quilt.

For the back I used a Hoffman purple batik.  Could have gone just straight line quilting like normal.  This is a special quilt for our really good friend’s baby.  I have never done any quilting like this and was really happy with the result.  No bunching, no real issues.

I will be trying the quilting again.

Along with the quilt, I picked out a book to be read to the now toddler.  Hoping she snuggles under the quilt while the book is read to her.

Used stash fabric and finally got something finished some my unfinished project bags.

Purple, Pink and Gray Quilt

Throughout 2012 I really want to try and work through my stash and scraps.  In my collection were some 1930’s reproduction prints.  Here is the original quilt I made with some of prints.

This one is for sale in my Etsy shop.

Using the same pattern I went through the more girly colors and decided to just focus on the pinks and purples.  I still have a few colors but they will be going into my donation stash.  They are not my style.  I tried white instead of gray, but the gray was just right. I had just enough Kona Gray to finish making the blocks.

The piecing was easy.  Once the blocks were made, the blocks did spend a few days on my design wall.  I wanted balance with the prints.

Couldn’t resist using the new fabric from Riley Blake on the back.  It is light gray with little white flowers.  For the quilting I just wanted something simple.  Criss cross diagonal lines in white finished off the quilt.  The binding is a light pink solid from my stash.

The finished quilt is for sale in my Etsy shop.


Another Strip Quilt

Finally had a chance to use the Hoffman Colorsplash fabrics that had been in my stash for a bit.  I had been waiting for the right little girl to make her something special.  Why else would you hold to fabric for almost 2 years?

Upon completing the top, I realized it is was crooked.  I learned from my mistake, do not piece all the pieces together.  Do them in sections then piece the sections together.  After pinning, quilting and lots of little cuts to get the sides even, I am happy with the result.


It’s all Greek to me

Challenge:  going outside of set comfort zone.  Typically, my quilts are squares or circles.  Friend asked me to make a custom quilt with his fraternity letters and colors.  I saw heat bond in my future and applique.

The colors are purple, green and yellow.  Had to be cautious to limit the purple and not making the quilt girly.  Upon applying the letters on the black background the colors really popped.  Decided to quilt with black thread on the top.  Luckily, it did tone down the color of the letters.

Love the tight quilting on there.  Gives structure and sore shoulders, ha.

Customer was happy and I realized I had missed applique.  Good thing I have some stuff cut out and ready to go for another project.

close up