Modern Marmalade Quilt #2

Using the green, blue, yellow, gray and orange fabrics from the fat quarter set, a boy’s quilt was created.  Using the same random pieced layout as his sister’s was a bit harder.  There were limited fabrics without flowers to select from.  I wanted to incorporate them but not overwhelm the quilt.

The quilting is done in wonky straight lines in a light grey thread.

Coordinates really well with the solid Kona Ash grey back.

Using 2.5 inch strips left over from the top fabrics, I created a pieced binding.  I did the same for the girl’s quilt.

So glad I got to use this great new fabric when it’s actually new.  I’m usually so far behind on fabrics that nothing is “new” when I get to sew with it.

Links to other Marmalade quilts

Marmalade girl quilt

Scrappy Irish Chain Marmalade girl quilt

Citrus Explosion

Using scraps has been a priority over the last couple of months.  I realized my scraps were exploding out of their storage and something and to be done.

This fabric was the back and quilt was to be in greens, oranges, and yellows.


I used a custom pattern of 1.5″ and 3.5″ rectangles in order to create the layout.

I added 8-10″ of white on the side to help accentuate the colors.  The thread used for quilting was a variegated green, orange and yellow.

Binding is a solid orange fabric.

Great way to use up scraps and create a cute baby quilt.

Lovebirds Quilt 2

Using the left over prints from the Spoonflower fabric from the first Lovebirds quilt, I wanted to make a second.  With this print, I have created two quilts if not maybe a third with the tree prints I have left.  This quilt started out as gender neutral.  The baby was born and turns out it was a girl.  Back to the design wall I go.

color ideas

Knowing the quilt was going to a girl, I added in the yellow and white retro floral print from my stash.  I think it really tied it together and made it more girlish.  Keeping the blues and greens make the yellow stand out more.

Lovebirds version 2

The quilting is done in yellow to really pop against the white. For the backing I pieced together some larger pieces I had in the stash.  A vintage sheet in yellow and white stripes, gray floral print and just a solid coordinate with all the colors on the front.  I knew for the binding I wanted to use an orange color.

My measly attempt at making a bird that looks similar to the front birds. Trust me it looks better from back here.  Poor things beak was messed up in sewing.  Too late to do birdie surgery.

Hope the new baby girl enjoys lots of snuggles in her new quilt.

Shabby Chic Baby Girl Quilt

This Moda Simplicity fabric was some of the first fabric I purchased in charm packs.  I have held on to it for no good reason, but then had a request for a girly quilt.  I thought this would be perfect.  Girly and shabby chic.

The 5″ squares were cut into 3.5″ x 5″ rectangles and 1.5″ x 5″ rectangles.  Then I mixed and matched them to give it a random look.  I wanted the layout to be simple and floating in white.

I had put aside some of the 5″ squares to use for the binding.  I really liked the look of the white and the floral print.  Has to be my favorite part of the quilt.

For the backing I had a vintage sheet put then did find a fabric from the collection at a quilt store that I had stopped at.  I adore the vintage sheet I was wanting to use so that can be saved for another project.


Pink and Green Scrap Square Quilt

Could you imagine having 3 little girls and really wanting a boy? Only to find out that baby #4 is another girl?  The lucky recipient of this girl is a beautiful new baby girl with a dad who was really hoping for a boy. Also, he’s a Jets fan.  Shocking my husband, a devout Giants fan, let me make this quilt.

Seriously, the dad is ecstatic with his new bundle of joy.  When asked to make the quilt, the goal was to not make it too girly using pink and green.  I started pulling fabrics and the idea came to me.  I would use 1.5″ and 2″ squares in pink and green to give the quilt the right touch.

Luckily most of the fabric was in my scraps and no new fabric needed to be purchased for this quilt.  This may be a first.  Cutting the very small squares took a while, but the piecing took longer.

The small squares did exactly what I wanted; green with a just a pop of pink.

Laying out the quilt took a couple different designs and this is the one I decided on.

A diagonal pattern worked out great for these small squares.  Strips of where formed to make piecing the top easier.

For quilting I wanted something simple that didn’t overpower the quilt.  Binding is a solid pink and the back was a green print.