Boy Quilt #425 recently

Okay, the 425 is a bit of a stretch.  I think you get the idea.  Someone asked if I could make something like this quilt, http://pinterest.com/pin/191754896604855631/.  Great, I’ll give it a try.  Picked out all the great fabrics I wanted and then read the instructions.

It was a no go.  All the bulk at the center was going to drive me crazy.  Back to my stash to see what I could really create. Found this fat quarter bundle at Crimson Tate.  Heather has lots of great modern fabrics and she has the best bubbly personality.

I went back to my favorite pattern, the disappearing nine patch.  The quilt is a good combo of brown, blue and a punch of orange.

Quilted edge to edge to highlight the squares.  Bound in white and light blue fabrics.

Nautical Boy Quilt

Notice a trend recently??  Boy quilts have been the biggest request and more coming.  Lots of blue, green, brown and orange laying around the sewing room.

Nautical has been a big trend in fabric this year and from what I hear, it’s not going away.  Which is great!  The colors work well for boy or girl and gives you options.  Lucky for me this quilt was going into a nautical nursery.

via LayBabyLay

There are lots of great blue prints out right now.  For this quilt I wanted something that accented the nautical fabrics I had picked out.  Why not do half square triangles all going the same direction to mimic sails?

Off to cut lots of 5″ squares in white.  You will see more these coming up for a very cute project. Then cut even more 5″ squares for the varying blues I had picked up.  Piecing and pressing was easy, layout took forever but I designed to go with a repeating pattern.

For the back I wanted to keep it simple and go with light gray.  Of course I can’t make a quilt without some gray in it.

Turns out it matches the nursery perfectly.

Nautical Boy's Quilt

Neutral Boy’s Quilt

Congrats to Darcie for being the giveaway winner.  Thank you for all the comments.  I may still be obsessing about Marmalade.

This quilt was whipped up pretty quickly using my standby favorite pattern, the disappearing nine patch.  Using scraps from the red, white and blue triangle quilt and a few solids to complete the neutral look.

Putting pieces on the design wall has to be one of my favorite aspects of quilting.  Always fun to just throw things up there randomly then sort and move pieces around.  Hopefully this keeps one color from overwhelming the quilt.

Using straight line quilting in gray kept the quilt simple and coordinates with the back very well.

I want to do something similar with the scrap reds from the triangle quilt.

The quilt is currently at it’s home in NY being snuggled on by a new baby.  He looked so happy in the photo I was emailed.

 

Modern Marmalade Quilt #2

Using the green, blue, yellow, gray and orange fabrics from the fat quarter set, a boy’s quilt was created.  Using the same random pieced layout as his sister’s was a bit harder.  There were limited fabrics without flowers.  I wanted to incorporate them but not overwhelm the quilt.

The quilting is done in wonky straight lines in a light grey thread.

Coordinates really well with the solid Kona Ash grey back.

Using 2.5 inch strips left over from the top fabrics, I created a pieced binding.  I did the same for the girl’s quilt.

So glad I got to use this great new fabric when it’s actually new.  I’m usually so far behind on fabrics that nothing is “new” when I get to sew with it.

More Orange

Seems like everyone is having boys or at least that’s what my sewing trend has been.  Lots of blue, so how do you take blue and make it more fun.  Orange.  I tend to stick with gray as an accent but I wanted a modern nautical theme for this quilt.

Originally the quilt was going to be in the pattern like the citrus quilt.  Instead I went for an all over pattern.

I wanted to keep it simple and I think I succeed.

The back was just pieced was some leftover fabrics.  Wonky much?

I swear it was straight when I sandwiched it.  Oh well, gives it character right?

Lovebirds Quilt 2

Using the left over prints from the Spoonflower fabric from the first Lovebirds quilt, I wanted to make a second.  With this print, I have created two quilts if not maybe a third with the tree prints I have left.  This quilt started out as gender neutral.  The baby was born and turns out it was a girl.  Back to the design wall I go.

color ideas

Knowing the quilt was going to a girl, I added in the yellow and white retro floral print from my stash.  I think it really tied it together and made it more girlish.  Keeping the blues and greens make the yellow stand out more.

Lovebirds version 2

The quilting is done in yellow to really pop against the white. For the backing I pieced together some larger pieces I had in the stash.  A vintage sheet in yellow and white stripes, gray floral print and just a solid coordinate with all the colors on the front.  I knew for the binding I wanted to use an orange color.

My measly attempt at making a bird that looks similar to the front birds. Trust me it looks better from back here.  Poor things beak was messed up in sewing.  Too late to do birdie surgery.

Hope the new baby girl enjoys lots of snuggles in her new quilt.