I had a break through with the beautiful Fantasia fabric by Sara Lawson. Hubby survived Jo-Anns and was able to get the batting I wanted. This fabric really had me stumped since I wanted to really showcase the prints, see my previous post.
A plus quilt would be a great way show off the prints but have movement with the design too. After a couple of beers I started to lay out this beauty on the batting. The first couple of rows take some manipulation to figure out how to get started and not have too many squares just thrown in. Three squares were randomly added to fill in spaces if needed. I think that’s pretty good.
Our friends were over and helped with some feedback on the layout. MORE unicorns were necessary. I went in to add a few more and I’m very happy I did. For the rest of the top I wanted to use solids. I raided my solids on the bolt stash and had the option of these Kona colors: Mint, Orchid, Silver, and a pink. Mint won and I’m saving the pink for the binding. I found the perfect vintage sheet to use on the back from my stash.
On Saturday and I was able to sneak in a few pictures of the completed top.
I’m loving the mint added to this collection. I’m considering quilting it with a variegated pink, purple and orange thread. I have some that I purchased years ago for an idea but never used. Maybe it’s over the top, but worth a try to see if I like it.
The weather in Indy this weekend was gorgeous and we were able to get outside quite a bit. Easter egg hunt, walks, Final Four festivities, and a Pacers game. Big weekend and everyone survived. Just a couple of meltdowns.
Give the kid a swing, he’s great. Have him pose for a fun picture…disaster.
We have rain most of this week so I’m guessing this quilt will get quilted. I am very excited to finish this quilt. I feel like Pdawg looks in the above photo, giddy, about the fabric. This quilt already has a recipient, that person doesn’t know it yet. I’m guessing they will love it just as much as I do. That could be part of why I’m loving it too.
Linking up with Work in Progress Wednesday