That’s right, at my house. Over Memorial Day weekend I was given the chance to just have some time at home. My wonderful parents took P on Thursday night to the lake and I had taken Friday off work. Earlier in the week I had written down my to do list to help keep me focused with all my free time. I was planning 3-4 days with no kid and hubby had some plans too.
What you don’t see on the list are some errands that I wanted to accomplish as well. I knocked most of those out on Friday morning and needed those errands to complete some home projects. Spray paint was necessary to make these happen. Saturday my yard was colored robin’s egg blue and gold/bronze.
We are hitting a few big salvage sales in the area this upcoming weekend to complete some updates to our bedroom. My husband painted the room two years ago, yep, that’s our speed for home projects. I’m happy with how these pieces turned out. They are going to stand out against the navy walls in my bedroom.
Saturday morning I made candles with soy wax and essential oils. I didn’t follow a tutorial, I just started creating. Next time I need more oils to make a stronger scent. They are easy to make once you have the supplies.
I worked on the spray painting as a break from sewing. My items for the Urban Home Goods Swap on Instagram (#uhgswap) needed to be finalized. Based on my partner’s request I wanted to make an apron and a pillow cover. Guess what I had never made before? An apron. Pinterest is full of tutorials and ideas and this one is awesome, click here. My version is below.
I hope my partner doesn’t hate the butterfly print as I used it as the base fabric for most items I made her. We shall see. Once the adult version was complete, I whipped up a smaller version for her daughter. Rather than a fabric waistband, I dug into my vintage lace and found the perfect piece.
After these, I needed a creative break. I began working on the clouds for the Rainbows and Clouds quilt.
Thank you for your kind words on the project. It took a lot emotionally to create it, but the overall finish was perfect. The rainbow strips and piecing curves were a nice challenge to keep working on when I didn’t want to keep going.
Saturday night I was able to get the quilt based and ready for quilting on Sunday morning. As I wrapped up Saturday night I turned to a collection of fabrics I pulled to create the pillow for the swap. The first pull I made was great, but wasn’t quite right. The next pull was just right.
I went back to my favorite flying geese tutorial and knocked out the geese in no time. In the background I was watching new episodes of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and dying. If you haven’t watched the series, start because it’s hilarious. In making this pillow, I decided I want to see this as a whole quilt. Monday I was able to order more of the background fabric and some fabrics to coordinate from Stitch Stash Diva. The fabrics have already arrived and I will probably start on the quilt this weekend.
Finally over the weekend I wrapped up a few projects that I had sitting around and just wanted to get done. You will see those soon. What I didn’t accomplish was the video tutorial just yet for a postage stamp quilt, but it’s coming. That’s going to take an afternoon and I want to give it the proper time it will require.
Overall it was a great weekend and thankful I was able to make so much with the time I had. I had been feeling a creative rut and not very motivated. Having a weekend to focus on creating was what I truly needed. Look for new quilts and items coming up.