This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may receive a small compensation. All opinions are my own.
This is my first time using Boundless Fabric by Craftsy. I bought a layer cake from someone having a destash and got right to work. Over the last few months, I had been wanting to remake the All The Way Up quilt and I thought this may be a good palette to try the design with. I cut the layer cake into 5″ charms and separated out the fabric.
The colors are a mix of bold and muted, creating a wonderful contrast. For the random look I like to go for, I make 4 stacks of the squares, and then started pairing them up. Do you ever gravitate towards having some colors together more than others? I found myself going towards the same pairings and had to rethink a few. I kept telling myself to keep the pairings random.
Piecing all of the squares took no time. Cutting them into half square triangles was easy. Porter helped me press them and loved it. Then, I went to layout the quilt as I envisioned and it wasn’t right. Rather than move forward, I picked up the squares and put them away for a couple of nights. P and I designed his quilt and that gave me time to rethink the layout.
Rather than recreate the quilt, let’s use it for inspiration. I started laying out the blocks with the triangles all going the same way. It was growing on me. Since I had let go of the urge for everything to be perfect with Porter’s quilt, I decided to just create this top and run with it. It was hard because I wasn’t absolutely in love with it and I wanted to do more. However, keeping it simple can work out too.
Once the top was finished I starched the hell out of it and got everything flat. One thing that had not changed from my original vision was using a black and white print with these fabrics. I decided it needed to be the backing and dug around in stash. A simple Lotta Jansdotter print to the rescue.
For quilting I opted for straight lines to accentuate the triangles. It felt good to do straight line quilting again. Once I washed the quilt, it was just the way I wanted it.
There was just enough of the binding print to finish off the quilt. It pulls many of the colors from the quilt, but doesn’t take away from it.
Overall I’m happy with the way the quilt turned out. I’m proud that I didn’t let a layer cake just sit around and put it right to use. That was weird for me.
The quilt is currently listed in my Etsy Shop here.